Friday, August 15, 2014

The Big Island December 2012

So my friend and I flew in to Hilo and drove to Kilauea where we were staying for our 3 day Big Island adventure. I highly recommend renting a car! Just do it. The national park area is wonderful and hiking along the caldera on all the trails was really fun and breathtaking. Hiking was fun despite the fact that I had broken my toe a few days prior. The only, very minor, issue I had was that there are not many food options. There is a good thai place outside of the national park area, but thats about it.

National Park Map

Inside the caldera 
Getting up to watch the sunrise was well worth it. The volcano really is gorgeous and the hikes are all easy-nothing too strenuous. 

Steam Vent



Pele's Breath
We decided to adventure to Punalu'u Bake Shop, the most southern bake shop in America. First of all, I love food. And the breads, pastries, and local Hawaiian foods that they sell here are AMAZING. They bake Hawaiian sweet bread in mango, taro, and traditional. Delicious. I tried a lilikoi (passion fruit) pastry that made me want to have a moment alone with it. Yummmm!

We also adventured to the Black Sand Beaches. I high recommend going here. We saw so many turtles and the beach is just gorgeous. 

Overall the Big Island was a blast. Hiking the volcano, eating at one of the best bakeries in America, and the famous black sand beaches.

What an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment